Last Updated on
The farmhouse sink is no doubt the most demanded types of sink now and a lot of people want a remodel to be able to change their sink and Install the Farm Sink.
The farmhouse sink, besides being the trendy kitchen equipment of the moment has features and functions that users crave and want to enjoy daily in their kitchens.
For people wanting to have their existing sink changed so as to install a new farmhouse sink, there is something to consider. The cabinet is a part of the kitchen structure and it comes directly in contact with the sink.
The cabinet size and dimension must allow for the size and dimension of a sink which is to be installed. In the case of a farmhouse sink, fixing it inside an existing cabinet which is designed and made for farm sinks is very easy.
However, for existing cabinets made for other types of the sink, installing a farmhouse sink is not easy and it takes some very technical knowledge to achieve.
There are several firms offering services which include installation of the sink and you can place a call to have your new farm sink installed without even carry dust.
You can patronize individuals that sell custom-made and designed farmhouse sink which has been designed and made to fit into the existing cabinet. Although the Price of The farm sink is High to Medium but also have some quality and cheap farmhouse sink on the market. If your budget is medium to cheap then you can also Pick some good one.
Get the Proper Idea that How to Install Farmhouse in an Existing Cabinet
If you are not hiring anyone to install your farmhouse and you are not planning to buy the custom-made farm sinks, then you need to read through this article and follow the steps explained although there may need to cut off some part of the cabinet.
There are very important tools that are needed before you can successfully install a farm sink into an existing cabinet. These tools include;
Need these Tools
- Power drill
- 1 ½ screws
- Miter saw
- Table saw
- Two 2/4 inch studs of 24 inches long
- Fir plywood of ¾ by 24 inches by 36 inch and 2-inch screws.
- Remove inside of Cabinet Screw The existing cabinet has screws which hold it into place. You should first remove the screws located at the inside part of the cabinet using a power drill. The inside screws are located behind the false front of the cabinet on ½ by 6-inch long wood that is perpendicular to the false front. By unscrewing the screw, you will be able to the false front and remove the screw from the front of the cabinet. After this, you need to unscrew the two screws that hold a short vertical piece of wood in place. Remove the T-shaped piece of the face frame out and clean off the dry glue with a chisel.
- Measure the Farmhouse sink Size and Dimension – Measure the Farmhouse sink from the top to the bottom and add the ¾ inch to the measurement. Then transfer the measurement to the cabinet and measure vertically from the top edge. Also, measure the horizontal length using a straight edge across both sides. After the measurement, cut two 2/4 stud of the same length. Apply glue to the studs and screw one horizontally to the jamb edge of the cabinet.
- Make a measurement from the front of the cabinet on the inside to the wall. Be sure of the distance in measurement, between the two edge jambs of the cabinet. Cut a 3/4 inch fir plywood according to the measure of the wall from the front of the cabinet using a table saw.
- Position the farmhouse sink on the plywood and mark out the location of the drains. You can cut out a larger hole for the drains using a jigsaw. Then drop the plywood into the cabinet so that it can rest on the horizontal studs that have been glued and screwed to the jambs on both sides of the cabinet. Screw the plywood to the stud using 1 ½ inch screws.
- Apply or fix a bead of caulking to the top edges of the jambs on both sides and put the farmhouse sink into the space ensuring that the top lips of the sink are on top of the jamb on both sides while the bottom of the sink should rest on the plywood platform.
In conclusion, it is important to note that the steps explained and enumerated above must be followed strictly if you are to successfully install your farmhouse sink into your existing cabinet.
Get all the needed tools available and be very careful while working with the woods or any other tools. There is however some farmhouse sink that has a recess between the body of the sink and the frontal overhang.
Measure the overhang and if its ¾ inch of more does not bother cutting off the ¾ piece on the face frame of the cabinet and as such, the recess of the farmhouse sink will be positioned on it.