Everyone wants to make their kitchen unique in every aspect. Because if it looks shiny and clean, then anyone can do their cooking job easily. Even people do not hesitate to spend money for this comfort.
In a kitchen there are lots of things are available which must need to be good enough for the perfect working situation. But there is one thing you cannot deny to make the kitchen perfect and that is the sink.
Almost after every work, you need to use this either for washing hand, dishes, foods, and other things, this sink can make your day.
Then why not you want to make your sink extraordinary. Nowadays, most people use granite sinks for the best performance and most importantly for the outlook.
It can bring your kitchen to life. Lots of people think that installing a sink in granite is harder than the normal one because they do not know how to cut the sink hole in granite.
3 Steps to Cut Sink Hole in Granite Countertop
If we discuss some specific process step by step then it will be easy for everyone to do this task at home by themselves. We can describe this whole process in three steps. Let’s discuss about it.
- Proper Planning: A perfect plan can make all the task you are going to do easy. So be careful when you are doing this. Because an error can make you suffer a lot. Collect a piece Kraft paper for making the layout. If you can manage then cardboard will be better for it. Ensure that the piece you collect is large enough. Now lay this board on the cabinet. Measure the location where the sink needs to be installed. Do the measurement precisely. Now trace the countertop. Try to make the exact template that you need. Remove all the excess paper or board. Some people love to make granite overhang. So, you also need to decide which size needs to overhang. We can mention the standard size you can adopt. 1.5 inches. If you want more size of the overhang, then you need to install steel braces for support.
- Choose the granite: It is time to bring a solid granite slab for the cabinet. This material is very much available everywhere. You can buy it from kitchen showrooms, local fabrication shop or home centers. Not only that you can also buy it from the online shop. If there are various types of color are available for the granite. Choose one according to the design and the interior of your kitchen. The price will be up and down. If you can give them the dimension then they will cut the edge of the granite smoothly.
- Adjust the countertop: After the perfect measurement and getting the perfect granite for you, bring plywood which must be the exact size of the templates that you made for the measurement. Take it to the counter top and lay it there. Take the measurement again to make sure the plywood in the correct position. There are some parts need to be trimmed. Mark it and trim it. You can use the circular saw for this job. It also needs to cut the hole for the sink. This is not the last thing with the plywood. You need to screw it with the countertops. You have to screw it form the downside of the cabinet braces. Before you drill make sure that the plywood is in perfect position and not moving while drilling. Screw it to hold the movement. As a precaution, use gloves, goggles.
- The coating: After installing the plywood with the countertop you need to coat some waterproof membrane. It will protect the plywood for a long time. This is one kind of precaution. Just a small brush needs to do this. Coat the whole surface of the plywood.
- Before you are going to cut the granite for the sink you need to place it on the countertop for checking that the granite is fitting perfectly or no. for this you can take a whiteout pen painter’s tape. It will keep the area on track to cut. Be careful from breaking or damaging it. If you pre-order it and not adjusting with the cabinet, then return it immediately.
- If you the granite is a perfect fit, then it’s time to take the layout or templates and lay it down on the granite slab. Identify the edge that you need to modify. Now take a paper as a cutout and a scissor. This cutout is the layout for the sink. Now identify the area where you want to cut the granite for the sink. For making a hole in the sink will be the best if you install a drop in sink. If you do this then you do not need to worry much about the smooth cut.
- Now you have to cut the granite slab carefully. For that, you need a handheld wet circular saw. This will be perfect for smooth cutting. If you do not have one, then you can buy it or rent it for a while. As a precaution, you need to wear gloves, goggles and the face mask. Position the saw perfectly and carefully on the outline you marked to cut down. You also need to cut just outside of the line. It will be better if anyone can hold the sink cutout for you otherwise it will fall down and kill your more time usually you need. As a result, there are some spaces will be available which is much needed while you grind down the edge and trying to smooth it.
- After finishing the cutting session, it’s time to make the edge smooth. For that, you need a wet grinding wheel. Take your garden hose and attach it the wet grinding tool. Now take the grinder on that side where you want smooth the edge. Now slowly and smoothly take the grinder back and forth. You will see that the edge is becoming smooth. Do it until you fully satisfied the smoothness. This tool also used for rounded up the corner. You can use it too for this purpose. Your job is done. Now take a towel or soft cloth which should be a wet one. There are dust, debris and dirt of the granite. Clean it perfectly from the surface.
- Now you can see that the hole for the sink is ready. Take the sink and install it. There is some rim on the bottom and top. Try to notice that, there is any gaps are available or not for the sink. It will indicate the perfect fitting for the sink if there is not an extra gap between sink the granite.
From the above steps, we discuss about can give you more idea about the cutting session and the process that need to be done exactly. After cutting the hole in the sink, you will have to clean the granite sink in order to make sure it is long-lasting.